TRU Food Services is passionate about food, including where our food comes from. Our goal is to provide delicious and affordable meals and do our best to include sustainable options such as sourcing from local suppliers, which can sometimes be a challenge in our four-season climate.
As part of our dedication to adding more local items to our menus, TRU recently became a Feed BC Partner. Feed BC is a provincial government initiative that encourages institutions to bring in more BC food to government support facilities. As a partner, we aim to reach the goal set by Feed BC of 30 percent of all food purchased being locally sourced from within BC. We are currently at 21 percent BC-sourced food suppliers and plan to continue to increase that over the next year.
Some of our local products include:
- TRU Honey cultivated on campus
- Howl Coffee, TRU’s own 100 percent organic and fair trade coffee, available at The Workbench and our catering operations
- Fresh is Best tortilla chips produced in Kamloops, available at the U&M Deli, The Workbench and catering operations
- Twisted Goat Coffee, 100 percent fair trade and roasted in Kamloops, available at the U&M Deli
- Tega Tea’s Organic Fair Trade and Kosher Tea’s from Vancouver, available at The Workbench, The U&M Deli, and our catering operations
- Extreme Smoothies by Happy Planet in Burnaby, available at the U&M Deli and The Workbench
- SunRype brands from Kelowna, available at the U&M Deli and the Workbench
- Chicken and vegetable samosas from Nanas in Surrey, available at the U&M Deli
- Eggs from Vanderpool Eggs in Surrey, available in menu items at the U&M Deli, The Workbench and catering operations
- Chicken souvlaki uses chicken from Hallmark in Penticton, available at The Workbench
- And much more.
When visiting the retail outlets on campus, look for our local food label. All of the menu items at our retail locations that have locally sourced ingredients or are locally sourced, will be labelled as local food.
Follow or get in touch with us on Instagram to learn about daily specials, new food features, hours of operation and other great contests. Warning: following us will make you hungry.