Posted on: March 5, 2014
This week’s Wellness Fits challenge is adding more fruits and veggies to your daily diet. Are you getting enough? 7-10 servings a day is what’s recommended. If you are a self-proclaimed “meat-etarian” we’ve got a few tips on how to SNEAK more veggies into your day.
Like eggs in the morning?
- Try adding onion, peppers, tomato, asparagus or salsa to an omelet or scrambled egg dish.
Tend to skip breakfast?
- Try a smoothie with banana, berries and kale.
Cereal your go to fix?
- Take some advice from your Special K box and add some berries or banana to the bowl.
Love a good sandwich?
- Start by adding a lettuce and kale mixture in there and then get creative! No veg is off limits for a between the bread lunch.
Hate bringing the same old thing?
- Try some meal-sized salads that mix warm and cold items in. Possibilities are endless. One easy mix is salad greens (you can buy bags at more grocery stores) with roasted beets, goat cheese, red onion and balsamic vinegar dressing.
Eat on the go?
- Get some veggie soups and add some of your own like broccoli or cauliflower and then blend/ puree the whole thing and bring it in your coffee mug (after washing it of course!) You can drink your veggie packed lunch!
- Smoothies are another great option here. Mix in strong fruit and mild veggies for best taste results. Add some yogurt for liquid rather than juice and you’ve covered off protein as well!
Spaghetti dinner is your go to meal?
- Try adding onion, peppers and shredded zucchini to your low-sodium sauce. If you really want to hide those veggies, puree them first.
Need a good steak?
- Start your meal with a side salad. Add mushrooms and onions to the plate for your steak and opt for a sweet potato or yam instead of the traditional baked potato.
For more great ideas check out these links: