Thompson Rivers University is pleased to announce its largest-ever single donation.
Dr. Sherman Jen of Maple Leaf Educational Systems has given TRU a personal donation of $5 million today at an event in the Brown Family House of Learning.
His generous gift is the university’s biggest individual private donation ever. It is allocated for scholarships and teaching and research facilities, all of which will have a major impact on TRU and its students.
Dr. Jen’s donation breaks down as follows:
- $1.5 million for the Dr. Sherman Jen Research Innovation Fund—to support research in the Faculty of Science and the School of Education.
- $1.5 million for the Dr. Sherman Jen High Fidelity Simulation Centre—which uses computer-driven high fidelity mannequins to engage students and faculty in innovative health teaching and research methods not possible using real patients.
- $500,000 for the Dr. Sherman Jen Instrumentation Lab—a virtual venue for the next generation of instrumentation professionals.
- $500,000 for the Dr. Sherman Jen Innovation Competition Prize Endowment—which will fund prizes and support student participants in innovation competitions in areas like Science, Leadership and Business, and Trades.
- $1 million for the Dr. Sherman Jen Student Scholarship Endowment—to support scholarships in Science, Trades and Technology, Law, Education, Social Work and the Master of Education.
“This generous gift supports innovation and capacity growth through teaching and research excellence for faculty and students and by creating new opportunities for student success through scholarships and innovative capital development,” said TRU President and Vice-Chancellor Alan Shaver.
Dr. Jen’s donation creates new learning and research opportunities for students and faculty scholars and recognizes academic excellence. It also supports students through awards to engage in academic and skills competitions provincially, nationally and globally. It also supports the School of Nursing’s commitment to learning and research using the advanced computer-based, high fidelity patient simulation centre in our soon-to-be built Nursing and Population Health Building and the innovation lab in the new Industrial Training and Technology Centre.
Maple Leaf is China’s largest private international school system. It is certified by BC’s Ministry of Education. TRU has had a long partnership with Maple Leaf and in September, 2016, Maple Leaf Education North America opened its BC Independent School on TRU’s Kamloops campus.