The TRU Sustainability Office and City of Kamloops Sustainability Services are delighted to announce that they are teaming up for the 2020 version of a popular TRU garbage clean-up event. The objective of the Kamloops Community Trash Bash event is to encourage people to pick up litter anywhere they want to in the community on Sunday, November 1 (official start time is 11 AM). In addition to the satisfaction of making our community more beautiful, participants are eligible to win some great prizes.
The TRU Trash Bash event was sidelined earlier this year due to the pandemic, so this new version—the 23rd Annual!—is being expanded to include the whole community.
Here’s how it works:
- In light of COVID-19, you are encouraged to pick up trash with others in your bubble or by yourself.
- Please practice physical distancing, wear a mask if you want to, and wash your hands during and after the event.
- Wear gloves and do not pick up anything that you are not comfortable with for any reason (e.g., heavy items, needles, broken glass, etc.).
- Please try to recycle any recyclable items and put the rest in the garbage.
- And there’s prizes!
- For everyone that emails to register, there will be a draw prize every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from October 19 to 30, so the sooner you register the better your chances of winning!
- Special prizes from the day of the event November 1st:
- Three prizes for the ‘Most Bizarre Pieces of Trash Picked Up’
- ‘Most Trash Bashed’ (determined by seeing picture of pile of trash picked up). Whichever team has the biggest pile of trash picked up wins lunch at the TRU Culinary Arts Scratch Cafe
- ‘Best Team Name’ – Come up with a great team name (and ‘teams’ of one person do count) – Whichever team has the best team name also wins lunch at the TRU Culinary Arts Scratch café
- Selfies are encouraged on the event day and three prizes will be given for the most beautiful backgrounds behind you and /or your team
- Grand Prize Draw winner announced November 2.
To participate, all you have to do is pledge to pick up trash on November 1 and register by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (include ‘Trash Bash’ in the subject line) to be eligible to win some great prizes.
For questions, please contact James Gordon in the TRU Sustainability Office (email@example.com).