A variety of TRU and community groups present this talk and discussion, with the featured guest being Mufti Aasim Rashid. See below for his biography.
- Among the questions to be addressed and discussed:
- What does Islam really call for and aim to achieve?
- Does Islam promote violence or restrict the rights of women?
- Are certain practices in Muslim countries an accurate representation of God’s commands?
- Is Islam compatible with modern times?
Who is Mufti Aasim Rashid?
Mufti Aasim Rashid is a Vancouver based Islamic scholar, public speaker, and educator specialized in Islamic law. He has worked with Canadian communities, especially the youth, for more than 20 years and has delivered hundreds of lectures, seminars, and workshops worldwide. Rashid is well-known for addressing Islam in the modern Western context and speaking to current issues.
Rashid is also the founder of CAVE (Campaign Against Violent Extremism), which aims to battle the radicalization of Muslim youth. He is also the founder of the Al-Ihsaan Educational Foundation, a registered non-profit organization committed to educating Canadians of all ages and backgrounds